There, was Zainab with her baby strapped on her back. Zainab's head was dripping blood.
 She panted exhaustively and managed to utter some words.
  "Please, Trishia help me..." While she attempted to say more, she fainted.
 Well, quickly I dropped the knife on the dining table and dragged her in while shutting the door behind as fast as I could.
 I pulled out the baby to prevent further congestion on her weight.
Miraculously, the baby was asleep, unperturbed.
  Gently, I placed the baby  on the couch while shielding her on both sides with the little pillows on the couch. I ran to the bathroom to fetch some water and hurriedly returned to Zainab who was still on the floor.
 Randomly, I sprinkled some water on her head down to her feet.
In about Five minutes or there about, Zainab was awake. She breathed with a sigh of relieve and yawned freely.
 To say I was scared, would be an understatement but once I saw Zainab gained consciousness, I was relieved beyond words.
 I watched Zainab for a while as she sat down close to her baby and looked at her with an in depth concern that could only be done by a mother.
She had this distant remorse.
 Oh! By the way, Zainab was one of the neighbors around. She had gotten married two years ago and moved into the estate with her husband who worked with one of the Blue Chip companies.
 She had taken in shortly after the wedding and given birth to a beautiful baby girl. We had gotten acquainted during the child's dedication party which we were all invited for but I guess due to different schedules we had grown a bit distant. Zainab was an ebony beauty, average height, chubby and very courteous, however over time, I had come to observe her withdrawal.
 Few times, I had bumped into her but she was very snappy about her pleasantries, like she was avoiding people generally.
   She soon slept off on the couch close to her baby. I decided to let her be. 
 Whatever explanation there was behind this incident, I was sure to find out the next day. The entire scenario dampened my enthusiasm for any form of indulgence that night thus I put off the light and decided to sleep close to Zainab and her daughter, at least to have an eye on them...
 *   *  *   *  *   * * * * *
 As I laid on the couch, I felt a soft, warm hand on my cheek. I turned to my other side, wondering who it was and alas!
 It was Zainab's baby, as I stared at her, I saw the most wonderful smile ever. She stared back at me and uttered: 
  'Ma..ma!'....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola