Anchoring your child's potentials on a creative approach...Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

Anchoring your child's potentials on a creative approach... Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.




(E PLUS The Storyteller Creative Writing Skills, Visual Arts Communication, Blogging and Storytelling Workshop).

Parent A: My child is too active, I just wish he can calm down🤷🏼‍♀.

Parent B: My child is so quiet, I really wish she can associate with other children.

Parent C: My child is so curious, I really wish she can just stop asking all those questions🙆

Parent D: My child is always insist on doing things her way, this just gets to me.🤦🏻‍♂
Every child is uniquely made for  unique task(s), what counts is how these traits are channelled to create something beautiful.. celebrate your child!

Dear Parents/Guardians!
It is important to know that, the moment these children are in our lives, there is an amount of responsibility that tags along, and this is inevitable.
Every child is at a stage where he/she is realising certain things for the first time, thus it always gets more interesting to know how every child responds to that reality. At this point, we get to notice the disposition(s) of our children: Reserved, outgoing, calculative, non-responsive, fierce, easy going, shy, e.t. c


Appreciating these traits in children would enable one to respond better to their needs, as individuals. HOW DOES THIS INFLUENCE THIER CREATIVE PROWESS?
A child's disposition will influence his/her Creativity in several ways: The language and the perception. So, a child who has the trait of being quiet, sees and says things differently: For example, a quiet child may not see any point in arguing out an issue, that child would rather let things slide, and have his/her opinion in the head, but an expressive child takes advantage of every opportunity to state his/her opinion.
In developing the Creative Skills of these children, irrespective of thier disposition, there is a need to encourage thier efforts at every point in time. Creativity develops at a pace, so this implies that, every child's creativity is unique and should not be pressured, especially in the context of comparing with another child.

Creativity can be harnessed, when time is created for the child: Even if it is a minute(at home or video call during break time or lunch time), create time to be part of your child's/ward's progress, then you can see what needs to be corrected and addressed properly.Whatever you do, do not give your child the impression that he or she is a failure, Nothing is as devastating as a disapproval from a parent/guardian, especially when your child looks up to you. While working on ways to bring out the best in your child, be patient enough to see the results. Children's Creativity can be harnessed(irrespective of thier disposition.), by deliberately engaging them in Creative Programs, and ensuring that they participate, rather than being onlookers- beyond cheering others up, they should equally contribute, this helps them become team players, and as they get used to the system, they become more responsive. Allow your children to take Charge of thier Creative ideas, rather than boss them around, or become too controlling: Give your children space and ample time, occasionally, especially as they develop thier Creative ideas, don't take away the credit and opportunity for them to establish their unique identity, creatively.


So the first time your child handles a pen or a pencil and scribbles down something on a paper he or she finds on the table, at the age of 2 or 3, you are clueless as to what those scribbles translates to.(Understandably so)
This might probably go on for the next few years until you begin to see 'Real letters ', 'Real Words '.
Well, please to let you know that those 'Scribbles' that appears like gibberish are not insignificant or less important. For all you know, every child cultivates a unique way of communicating through Writing, and this is usually done in the most creative way they know how to. Pause and Ponder:

How much assessment of what your children write ups, have you done lately?

Have you actually found out about their interest and how much of this is reflected in thier own story?

What picture or pictures do your children or ward create mentally, at every stage of thier Writing, regardless of the subjects?

Do you know that Creative Writing is an art that accesses other acts of discourse?

Do you know that Creative Writing is an art that accesses other acts of discourse?
The mind's expression is conveyed through words and actions either verbally or Nonverbally. Either way, whatever a child writes or say, speaks volumes of the quality of information at his or her disposal, thus, the assessment of a child's work is expedient because it provides us the opportunity of giving the child guidance and direction, as well as find out any vacuum  caused by wrong information .
In the process of assessing the works of Children, it's crucial to understand that every child is at his or her best when they are disposed to what 'catches' their interest, so take advantage of every moment to introduce topics about their favourite characters in a story, their favourite food, game, music, skills e.t. c

For example, when I was invited for World Book Day in one of the prestigious private schools in Nigeria, I met so many beautiful and Creative Children who were so 'hungry' to explore their creative prowess. More so, during our conversation, a large percentage of the children felt they were being 'forced' to study subjects they found uninteresting. and I found this quite disturbing.
Going further into the conversation, I soon realised that the subjects were not the problem! Guess what? It was all about the approach in the presentation of these subjects, so I became more curious, and took a chance in a one on one conversation with a particular student(who I had observed, wasn't even participating in the general conversation.

Me: Hello!

Dessy: Good afternoon ma.

Me: Good afternoon, so I observe you've not been participating in the conversation, hope you are fine?

Dessy: Hmmm..I don't just like school, I don't like any of the subjects.

Me (Quite curious): Really? Any reason?

Dessy: Hmmm..they are boring!

Me: Hmmm.. so what do you like to talk about?

Dessy: I loooooove sports, I love football, I eat football, I sleep football, I think football..

Me: Interesting! So if I create a story about football, would you like to listen?_

Dessy(Suddenly, there's a spark in his eyes): Yes! Yes!

And that is how I created a story about the blind boy who had an ambition to become a big time footballer, and despite his physical challenge, he never gave up his dreams and passion. Eventually, there was light at the end of the tunnel..After I had narrated this story, Dessy was all smiles and we talked at length. By the time I was done taking him and the entire class on Creative Writing Skills, Visual Arts and Blogging, Dessy walked up to me, and by this time, he appeared relaxed and more friendly. He gave me a blank card board and asked that I signed my initials on it. With a bright smile on my face, I gladly did, and he said to me: "Thank you ma, I really appreciate."

"You are welcome" I replied.

By the time, I turned around, I saw a very long queue of Children waiting for me to sign my initials on thier card boards😊(That remains one of the most memorable days of my entire career.) On my way out of the class, as the school admin walkedwith me through the school hall way, she turned to me and with a curious look, she asked:

"Ma, how did you end up engaging the attention of those children, I hardly get their attention like that.
With a smile on my face, I simply replied: 
It's all about the approach.


As I constantly converse with children of diverse backgrounds during E PLUS the Storyteller Creative Writing Skills, Visual Arts, Blogging and Storytelling Sessions, I realise that children have unique needs and demands, which must be attended to with a creative approach, otherwise you will loose them completely. How are we engaging these children, in terms of harnessing their creative potentials to bring out the best in them? The answer to this question goes a very long way in changing the dynamics of teaching and learning, for good.

*Yours Truly
*E PLUS THE STORYTELLER*✍🏻

**************************************

For your online Creative Writing skills, Visual Arts communication, Blogging and Storytelling Program, call, text or send a WhatsApp message to 07081536821, 08088534380.
You also get a free Audio story by E PLUS The Storyteller after registration.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola