THE  CHOIR...
   By E PLUS The Storyteller.

Paulina! Paulina! Oya o! We are almost late for church, and your dad is waiting in the car, let’s go nau! How many hours will it take you to dress up?” My mother called out.

“Mum, I’m almost done.” I replied, as I rushed downstairs. Everyone always looks forward to Sunday, particularly to the Church service. Ultimately for me, until now, it was all about the choir, before things took a new turn.

“Look at the time nau! See, how you people are just walking majestically as if you are the special guests of honor, today! Can’t you see that we are late? By now, prayers would have started. Oya! Enter the car, let’s go.” My Daddy shouted.

“Please, my husband, don’t be angry.” My mum replied, as we hurriedly entered the car. Thankfully, we had barely entered the church, when the prayer session
commenced, then the praise and worship session followed. Few minutes afterwards, it was time for the choir ministration- my favorite moment. Every time, I watched the choir, sing, I always imagined myself in that colorful robe, the thought of it, made me feel so excited. Everyone gave a standing ovation at the end of the ministration, and as usual, the pastor commended them.
Service was generally cool, and the theme of the message was anchored on- PERSISTENCE. We were taught never to give up on our dreams, and I was ready to take that admonition, further. I made up my mind not to give up on my dream to become a member of the choir, so I approached the head of choir, after church service, while my parents stayed behind to see the pastor. After waiting for few minutes, she finally gave me audience! I was so elated, as she asked me to follow her to the choir section. Sitting face to face with the head of choir(sister Peju), was such a privilege for me, that I could hardly hide my excitement.

“So, what do you want?” she asked. 

“Em…actually, I want to sing.” I replied.

The head of choir paused for a moment, and stared at me. My heart skipped a bit, I thought I had said something, wrong.

“You want to sing?” she asked, like she was reechoing my words, and I replied with a nod.

“Hmm…hmm?” she responded, and continued staring at me. At this point, I had become quite uneasy.

“Well, you would have to report here, on Friday. We have rehearsals every Friday, at exactly 6.00pm, and we do not joke with time and attendants.” She emphasized.

“Okay ma, no problem, I will be prompt.” I said.

I couldn’t wait to share my excitement with my mum, so immediately we arrived home, I made the announcement!

“Mum, looks like I have been admitted into the choir.” I said. Mummy looked at me, and had a big twinkle in her eyes.

“Really? When? She asked, quite curiously.

“em…When you and daddy went to see the pastor, I quickly went ahead to see the head of choir, and told her about my desire to join the choir. She asked me to be around, on Friday.” I said.

“Hmm…That’s interesting! I see that you have made up your mind about this.” Mummy said (with some form of hesitation in her tone.)

“Mum, I’m quite certain. I have always dreamt o being a member of the choir, and just the thought of wearing that colorful robe, is amazing!” I said, quite excitedly.

“Oh well! I guess, this is it. I pray everything goes well. Just ensure, you pray about it, a little more. Okay?” Mummy said.  
******************************************
I arrived Church at exactly one hour before the scheduled time for rehearsal, so I had time to relax, and get into character. I could see my reflection in one of the cubicles, so I decided to do a little rehearsal on my own. As soon as I sang one or two songs, I could hear some voices coming from a particular direction, and then I realized that they were voices of the head of choir, and few others. Apparently, they were having a meeting of some sort, and then I heard chuckles and giggles, followed by conversations.

     “See! Let me tell you, next time that your friend, wears those heels to climb that stage, you will not find it funny o!” Peju, the head of choir said.

“Ah ahn! Madam, cool down nau, shey she apologized.” A male voice, replied.

“..but what do you have against Sade,sef?” A female voice added.

“Well, she seems to be holy-holy, and personally, I think she sings too loud.” Sister Peju replied, and they all laughed.

“That her voice is something else, abeg!” The male voice continued.

“And to think we allowed her into this choir!” Sister Peju lamented.

“Is she not better than the other one.. what’s that her name, sef…em….

“Hope!” The male voice interrupted the other female’s.

“God bless you! Hope! That’s her name! Ah! That girl’s voice is something else, the way she even pronounces her words, na wa!” 
The other female continued, as they laughed for the umpteenth time.

And just when I thought I had heard enough, sister Peju, spilled more.

“Anyway, we will be having a new member, today.” She said, and there was silence for a while.

“but wait o! Are we still accepting new members?” The male voice spoke.

“I tire o!” The other voice resounded. 

“Relax! I just want to hear her, out. Besides, I think her parents are close to the pastor, so let’s see what she can do? Shebi na sing, she won sing?” Sister Peju said.

‘Okay o!” The others, chorused, and then laughed out so loud that I thought my ear would explode. After a while, I heard their steps towards the door, and immediately, I ran back to take a seat. As soon as they came out, they were surprised to see me. 

“Ahan! You are here already!” Sister Peju exclaimed.

I simply smiled, without saying a word. At that moment, I was still trying to process everything I had just heard, an after a while, I excused myself.

That was it! I was done! I had lost every interest in becoming a member of the choir
.
“Hey! Welcome..How was your rehearsal?” My mum said, as soon as I returned home. I hesitated for a moment before responding.

“Hmmm.. mum, I think I changed my mind.” I replied. Mummy smiled, and stared at me for a long time. I could tell that she wasn’t surprised at all, after all, she had advised me to pray about it.

It’s another Sunday, and everyone is seated, as the choir takes the stand, and beyond the beautiful robes, make-ups, and voices, there is a story no one seems to know… hmmm.
THE CHOIR… A story, by E PLUS The storyteller.


*******"**********************************

Telling the story of healthy living and creative packaging of wholesome fruity goodness by FRUITS N' BERRIES. Get your
Chopped Fruits
Fruit Juice
Smoothies
Cock Tails
Mock Tails
Greek Yogurts
Parfait
ALL NATURAL, NO PRESERVATIVES!
When giving something unique and different from the norm, to that very important person,
PACKAGING and PRESENTATION goes a long way 😍😍😍
Nothing less than the best is tolerated @fruitsnberriesng 😉😉😉
Click here for more details..
For every order you make, you get a free Audio Story by E PLUS The Storyteller.
Call or send a message to 07081536821, 08088534380.
Remember to give yourself, and the entire family, that special, healthy and delicious treat, from FRUITS N' BERRIES. Click the link below to place your orders.
Call or send a WhatsApp message to 08171620975.

*****************************************

For your online Creative Writing skills, Visual Arts communication, Blogging and Storytelling Program, call, text or send a WhatsApp message to 07081536821, 08088534380.
You also get a free Audio story by E PLUS The Storyteller after registration.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola