WHAT’S YOUR SUPER POWER?
                FOOD-LAW-MANIA

So, my vibe in the recent weeks have been more like the roller-coaster experience, that I vehemently refused to take part in, last summer (I managed to get on the Guardian and Spinovator just to get my Canada Wonderland experience on some form of record, but I doubt that I’m ever going back!). It took the nudging of @eplusthestoryteller to force me to take a break from my study notes (which I’m likely to regret later tonight) and put up a post.

I started typing, and realized how much I’ve actually missed writing and I apologize for having kept you all hanging.
Let’s get to it...

I’m obliged to declare a 2009 event in an Australian bar, as setting a precedent in the weirdest way ever!

The adventurous showcase by 31-year-old West Australian barmaid, De Faveri, who displayed her “super powers” to patrons who visited a bar where she worked, by crushing beer cans between her exposed breasts, cost her a whooping $1,000 in fine!

De Faveri received this sentence after pleading guilty to two breaches of Licence Conditions under the Western Australia Liquor Control Act, 1988. Her colleague and Manager were equally fined $500.00 and $1,000.00 respectively, for aiding in the commission of a breach of the Act. Her 43-year-old co-worker assisted in hanging spoons on her nipples, (an additional super power) and the bar Manager apparently, also got caught in this entangled web, for failing to stop the pair from carrying on with the ‘shameful’ act. A Police Superintendent, David Parkinson of the Peel Police District was said to have opined that: "It sends a clear message to all licensees in Peel that we will not tolerate this type of behaviour in our licensed premises."
Hian!

So it turns out that the Mandurah Magistrate Court in Australia, fined this beautiful, fearless, and obviously multi-talented barmaid, $1,000.00 for possessing super powers that can only be attributable to an extremely minute portion of the world’s entire population! Is that not the height of bad belleh (sheer envy) at play, like this?
Anyway, as I embarked on a critical assessment of the different angles to this situation, it brought forth the doctrine of ‘General Rules and Exceptions’, in the unique-natured legal system all over the world.
It’s official, guys: nothing is capable of messing with people’s heads better than law principles, and I’m grateful for the exclusive skill of issue dissection, that comes with being trained in the profession.

While there is the existence of the Constitution, that protects and guarantees citizens’ fundamental human rights, one of which is the Freedom of Expression (verbally or otherwise), there is equally the provision of exceptions to the effect that these rights are not absolute. Thus, there are instances where the protected and guaranteed rights of every citizen can be justifiably violated, in the interest of the public. Our Canadian Constitution terms this the “Notwithstanding Clause” as covered under Section 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
As evident in De Faveri’s situation, the Liquor License Act, that prohibits indecent exposure at liquor licensed premises, has tilted more in the direction of upholding public interest, which unsurprisingly, generated varying reactions ranging from an outcry on how ridiculous it is to question her choice of expression, to an argument in favor of the sanctity of the public space.

While I’m not proposing an argument for, or against, I have successfully arrived at the point where I reveal the bottom-line of this post:
Be mindful of your super powers, and ensure they’re not capable of conferring on you, the status of a “Criminal”!

As the elders of my tribe would say: “May the things which we love to indulge in, not be the cause of our doom.”
Can I get an ‘Amen’?


********"****************************"
@thatfoodielawyer takes your taste bud on a ride with her Asun recipe(spicy barbecued goat meat), with a twist. Click the link below, for more as you watch the video
:https//www.instagram.com/p/B2DHSbWFBTr/?igshid=ibd4fxrua2a7


@thatfoodielawyer voices out against xenophobia.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2HqgcYn149/?igshid=1357ikg15zvqz

email: thatfooddielawyer@gmail.com

LET’S ALL BE MAD BUT, BE NOT MAD.  
  Poem, written by Azeezat Ifemide .

Are They Mad?
They’re “western”, from the saner climes; they colonized a region and ruled by instilling unimaginable fear on the ‘subjects’; they segregate the people based on their skin color and social status, rained terror on the land, leaving everyone terrified of experiencing Nightfall in Soweto…
Are They Mad?
They light creatures of like-kind on fire, watching with satisfaction, as life seeped out of the victim in the most horrific manner! They justify their dastardly act, claiming these creatures have enjoyed “better prosperity” on their land, and therefore deserve to burn! “How dare they?” they ask.
Now, I ask…
“How dare you?”
Who do you pay, for the oxygen that you inhale and carbondioxide you exhale?
Who do you pay, for roaming the large expanse of land, on which you build, multiply and chase your dreams?
Who do you pay, for the sunshine and the rainfall that take turns to provide you comfort when you need it the most?
Is any man an island on his own!?

Are We Mad?
We respond in the exact same manner we speak vehemently against; becoming exactly what we condemn! Burning down buildings and businesses owned or co-owned by our very own; rendering our own already under-employed citizens jobless in the process. We create unrest in our own land, making a mockery of the unique privilege of experiencing a violent free independence of our motherland…
Am I Mad?
I am mad at the leaders, who have ruled and continue to rule my motherland; exchanging the baton of power as though they were running a relay race, and ruling the country with the same level of cluelessness, recklessness and irresponsibility!
I am mad at the leaders who have turned my motherland into a subject as well as, an object of ridicule that its own citizens would rather not reckon or be associated with.
I am mad at the leaders who have made successful citizens with admirable jobs, leave everything behind and flee the country under the ‘guise’ of migration, for a minus 45 degrees temperate region to rather earn a living doing ‘odd’ jobs on multiple shifts, just because the system at least, works!
I am mad at the followers, who have given in to the faulty system and would rather scam another, of their hard earned money; treating national currencies with total disregard, acting with reckless abandon!
I am mad at the followers, who have defaced my fellow resourceful, resilient and unbreakable-spirited citizens around the world, and renamed us in the most distasteful of ways!
Am I mad?
Yes, I dey mad over my beautiful country, Nigeria, a land overflowing with abundance of milk and honey. A 200 million population of the most versatile melanin dripping people, who ever graced the face of the earth!
I dey mad over the “ginger”, and the swag, and the ‘never give up’ attitude of my countrymen, which is responsible for the default statement that “oozes” from their mouths even in the most difficult situations: 
“We die here!!”

I dey mad over my country, the preferred hub, which women from every race would raher marry from; I dey mad over the distinctness of the Kente, the Ankara, and the Adire fabrics, adorned by the most proportionate and sumptuous bodies of voluptuous women,
 wey set die!!!

I dey mad over the robust African culture, the richest in the world, I dare say, expressed in Arts, in Craft, in Folklore, in Clothing, in Cuisine, in Music, and in several beautiful Languages.
I dey mad over the courageous and fearless bursting of the azonto, the etigi, and more recently, the shakushaku dance moves on the biggest and most prestigious stages across the world, in celebration of outstanding excellence!
I dey mad over the ‘baddest’ combination of the silkiest Amala, the slimiest Ewedu, the smoothest Gbegiri, and the rich local flavor of the palm oil stew, cooked  firewood style!
I dey mad over the healthy contest between different versions of jollof, which has only ensured we an even wider variety of cuisine from Africa, to the world!
At the end of the day: We’re all mad here!
However, let’s all be mad but, be not mad…
    Written by Azeezat Ifemide Adejare.




Comments

  1. This is hilarious, you got me but I later realized it was for your Lawyer people. I am hurt that the story was supposed to be normal and it ended that way, I am sure the guys will feel the same for De Faveri.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola