THE ONE MILLION NAIRA JOLLOF RICE COMPETITION... A story by E PLUS The Storyteller.

That day was just like every other day, nothing special in particular, though I had made up my mind to make my favourite meal- Tuwo Shikanfa and Miya koka. On my way from the market, I met Asabe who looked all excited to see me.

 "Ah! Laraba, where have you been? I have been looking for you!" Asabe exclaimed. Quite amazed, I stared at her, anticipating what next would follow.

"Thank God I have finally seen you o! Actually, there is something I want to share with you, it is good news!" Asabe further exclaimed.

"Wait o! You mean, you came to my house and you did not see me, or you tried my number and there was no response?" I asked, quite curiously.

"Honestly, I did o! I was just wondering what had happened." Asabe responded.

"That's strange! Anyway, what's the good news?" I asked.

Asabe reached out for her bag and brought out a magazine, then she quickly flipped through the pages and drew my attention to a particular page, which read: THE ONE MILLION NAIRA JOLLOF RICE COMPETITION. I read through, then looked at Asabe who had a smile on.

"I think you should enter for this competition." She said.

"You think so?" I echoed

"Of course! You know that you are a fantastic cook and your recipes are out of this world." Asabe exclaimed. Quickly, I took another look at the publication for the umpteenth time.

"So, you mean the grand prize for this cooking competition is one million Naira?" I asked.

"Yes, One Million Naira to be given to the winner of the best jollof rice!" Asabe reiterated.

"Hmm.. okay. May I have the magazine?" I requested. Asabe quickly tore out the page of the publication and handed it to me.

"em... you can keep this page, I need to still catch up with some other juicy news in the remaining pages. You know me nau! I like jist." Asabe responded, as she smiled from ear to ear.

"Thanks, I really appreciate. I will go and ponder over this." I said.

"Okay ooo! Please ponder very well o! This is a big opportunity that you should take advantage of." Asabe stressed.

"That's fine." I said.

"... because,  immediately I read it, my spirit directed me to you." Asabe added.

"No problem, Asabe. Let me head home now, we will talk later." I said, and we parted ways. Later that day, while in the bedroom, I read through the publication for the umpteenth time, Asabe's words echoed in my head, and I was becoming very convinced that I stood a chance in this One Million Naira Jollof Rice Competition. Then I began to imagine what I could possibly achieve with one Million Naira. I was so caught up that I hardly noticed when my husband entered the room.

"Madam! Looks like your mind has travelled o!" My husband exclaimed.l, and immediately I snapped out of my thoughts, then I thought it was a good time to share the news with him.

"So sorry darling, I was just dwelling on this publication. There is a call for entry in a One Million Naira winning prize, Jollof Rice Cooking Competition." I said.

"Wow! One Million?" My husband said with excitement.

"Yes! One Million Naira o! For the winner of the best Jollof Rice." I replied.

"Then, what are you waiting for? This is good news, especially considering how well you cook, and you know that your Jollof rice is second to none. I think this competition has your name written on it." My husband said. Those words were just the final motivation for me.

The next day, I filled the entry form and submitted it via the mail that was provided in the publication. Few days after, I received a mail stating that I had been shortlisted! My husband and I were so excited. Immediately, I informed Asabe, and she was so happy for me.

Soon, I had bought everything I needed for the competition, and was already basking in the euphoria of winning the grand prize!

"My friend, my friend! Hope you are ready for the Jollof  Rice competition tomorrow? We must win that one million Naira o!" Asabe exclaimed over the phone, as she had called to check on me.

"Asabe my friend! Yes o! I'm more than ready. I just want to thank you for being a true friend." I commented.

"Aba! What are friends for? I cannot see what will benefit you, and keep quiet because I know you will do the same for me." Asabe said.

"Sure!" I responded.

"Well, I wish you the best and I know you will emerge the winner." Asabe added.

"Thank you very much my friend." I replied, and soon the call ended. I could hardly sleep through out the night, because I was actually excited and restless at the same time, so excited that the next day, I woke up even before my alarm rang. In no time, I was ready and my husband drove me to the venue of the cooking competition. I met other contestants and we exchanged pleasantries; everyone waited in anticipation. Then, it was time! We were given 45 minutes to roundoff.

Immediately, I brought out my ingredients, I realised that I had forgotten my special secret formular!

"Chai! What do I do now?" I lamented, and after pondering for a while, I had an idea. I called the attention of one of the coordinators.

"Madam, is there a problem?" She asked.

"em.. not really, just that I have to make use of the bathroom." I said.

"Oh! Please, feel free." She responded, as she pointed at the direction.

Quickly, I entered the bathroom and brought out my phone. I called my husband, who was in the car, waiting.

"Usman! Please rush home and bring my special secret formular, I really need it for this competition." I said.

"Okay, where did you keep it?" Usman asked.

"Just check the cupboard in the living room, and you will see a brown bottle." I instructed.

"Okay, no problem. I will be with you shortly." My husband replied.

"Thank you. Please, when you return, just come to the back of the building, and I will stretch my hand through the bathroom window to collect it." I said.

"Okay, no wahala." My husband replied, and in no time, he returned with the bottle, and just like we earlier planned, he passed it  through the bathroom window.

I quickly returned to the hall where I continued with the competition.

"Madam, you have just twenty minutes left." The chief coordinator said.

"No problem." I replied.

At the final stage of the cooking competition, I simply added my special secret formular to my Jollof rice, and I was done! So, it was time for the judges to taste everyone's meals. I was so confident and certain that my special Jollof Rice would wow the judges. As soon as it got to my turn, the judges had a bright smile on their face.

"Hmmm! Madam your food looks good!" One of the judges exclaimed.

"Exactly! And the aroma is really inviting." The other judge added.

"Thank you judges" I replied with excitement, I already had butterflies in my stomach. Then the judges proceeded to test my meal, and the unimaginable happened!

There was pandemonium everywhere. The judges began to cough and choke!

"Ah! What's happening?"
Everyone asked, as they panicked. At first I thought it was the pepper, then I realized there was more to it. I was completely dumbfounded.

"Water! Water! Please give them water!" The other contestants cried out. And before long, the judges were rushed to the hospital. Afterwards, I was arrested for an attempt to kill the judges.

"Kai! How can you say I attempted to kill the judges?" I lamented, as the police took me along with them.

"Well madam, report from the doctor, confirms that you added nail polish remover to your Jollof Rice." One of the police officers replied. Then it dawned on me that there must have been a mix up. Chai! My mind flashed back to a similar empty brown bottle I had used to collect some nail polish remover from mama Ada, my neighbor, and I had placed it side by side with my special secret formular in the cupboard, where I had asked my husband, to bring the secret formular from. I had made such a big blunder!

"Ah! Usman! Usman!" I cried.

"Madam! Who is Usman?" The police officer asked.

"Hmmm! I think my husband must have mistakenly given me the nail remover, instead of my special secret formular! Chai!" I lamented.

"Madam, please you have the right to remain silent, or whatever you say now, will be used against you in the court of law." The police officer said

And that is how my dream of winning the one million Naira came to an end! Hmmmm! Na so ooo..

       THE ONE MILLION NAIRA JOLLOF     RICE...
  A Story by E PLUS The Storyteller.

For your online Creative Writing skills, Visual Arts communication, Blogging and Storytelling Program, call or send a WhatsApp message to 07081536821.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola