FOOLISH!

        A Story by E PLUS the storyteller.

I just made a mess of myself..or so they thought. It was an event that culminated to a major headline.

When I met Nnamdi, I thought my problems were over.. honestly that was my impression o! Little did I know that I had just landed myself a major crisis! Na wa o!

imagine me..a whole me. miscalculated for the very first time in my relationship equation..hmmm..
  I met Nnamdi at a grocery store where I had been window shopping. So that day, my eyes were caught by the exotic items that just arrived at the store.

I strolled care freely from one section to another - trust me, if you had seen me, you would think my father owned the store, chai! My swag was on another level.

Anyways, like I was narrating, I couldn't help admiring the beautiful items in the store, then I stumbled on a very rare piece that looked like the old Victorian ornament - you know those type that they usually show in movies?
  I stood there in awe as I gazed at the piece.. I don't remember how long sha oo! But I was there for quite a while when I heard someone say:

   "Trust me, that's not the real version."
 Then I turned around and saw the most spectacular piece of living being! He was soooooo gorgeous..whaaaat!

"Em.. really?" I exclaimed.

"Yes! That's an imitation. I can show you the real one." The young man replied.
   Trust me, I was more than eager to see what this guy had to show me....

     "By the way, my name is Nnamdi Lias." He said quickly as he stretched forth his hands for a shake.


Nnamdi  and I kicked it off shortly. My friends thought I had struck a gold mine!

"Girl! Are you kidding me? The guy is rich.. what else matters?" Favour(one of my friends.) Yelled out during the course of a conversation we had.

"Don't take your time ooo..chop him money well well!" Ngozi added as we all giggled.
  Really, my friends were on point as I had reckoned with them from inception. Days culminated to weeks and weeks to months, Nnamdi and I became the hottest item in town.

"I want us to visit the Bahamas." Nnamdi said one fateful weekend.
 Not like we had not been to other countries previously however the idea of Bahamas was the icing on the cake! I dreamt of it all my life.

"Why not?" I exclaimed.
  In few days, Nnamdi and I were off to the Bahamas and that was where the entire story of my life took an interesting twist  Hmmmmm!

To say I had such a blast while the entire trip to the Bahamas lasted, is actually an understatement!
  Nnamdi swept me off my feet with the most pleasant trip any girl would ask for. I could literally feel the envy eyes of all those 'Bahamas girls, including our Nigerian busy body girls wey no dey use eye see rich guy!

Anyway sha, we spent virtually four weeks at the Bahamas before we returned to Naija o! I had really transformed! Even my brother could not recognise me sef.😃

     "Wait o! Sister all these for me?" Stanley, my brother exclaimed, out of excitement when I handed him all I had gotten for him.

  "Yes nau! I even have more things in the car for you." I responded.
 Stanley froze like he had just heard the most unbelievable news.

   "Wait o! Did you say, car, sister?" He interrogated. Then I smiled.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you! He bought me a car o!" I added.

" Chai! Sister!!!! Na wa o! Who be dis guy sef, shwo!! Upgrade your brother na, how far?"  My brother went on and on.

"Nor worry, na small small, make my leg balance first, remain one leg." I replied confidently.

   ****************************
It was barely a week after we had returned from the Bahamas that I noticed my appetite had increased and I was really gaining so much weight. I also noticed I became easily tired. I decided to see a doctor.

While seated at the reception, I received a text message from Nnamdi who asked me to see him at his office in few hours thus I decided to go speed up the processing of my medical test.

"So, is my result ready?" I asked.

"Oh yes ma'am, here it is." The lady answered as she handed me the envelop.

"Thanks." I replied. As soon as I got into my car, I casually opened it. Then I read the result - I was pregnant!

Well, I quickly returned the test result to my bag and drove off to Nnamdi's office. I parked my car and hesitated a bit before I stepped out. As soon as I got to Nnamdi's office, I had the most frightening experience of my life.

Nnamdi was shivering out of control and he was on the floor! I rushed forward and attempted to help. Then I called for assistance.
*******************************
It was exactly two hours since we had arrived at the hospital and I was just pacing about, not sure of what to make out of the situation.

 Then, a nurse beckoned on me to follow her. We went into the doctor's office and he asked me to sit.

  "Are you miss Joey?" He enquired.

  "Yes..I am." I replied, quite jittery.

   "Well, everything is under control for now but are you aware that he is a sickle cell patient? And that he has been unduly stressed out?" The Doctor uttered. I thought I did not hear him well oo!! Ah! Sickle cell ke?

"Anyway, he will be discharged in few hours, please let him rest for a while and take his medication, seriously." The Doctor added as he headed out of the office, handing me some drugs.

Chai!!! This guy was SS and me, AS...and I just found out I was heavy with his child - another SS!!!

I walked out of the doctor's office like life had been sapped from me.

Unsure of what the future holds, I awaited Nnamdi's discharge from the hospital. Just like the doctor had earlier notified, he was out shortly.

"Thank you." He managed to say to me as we drove out of the hospital.
I responded with a faint smile.

We arrived at his home and he immediately called his parents to come over. Their presence was not without the razzmatazz associated with highly placed dignitaries, the la crème de la crème of society.

Na wa, no be small thing oo! Come see latest rides and aides wey follow dem come. As soon as they entered the house, I faded out of the background.

"Nnamdi, my son, my sunshine! What happened?" Nnamdi's mother lamented as she rushed forward to hold Nnamdi who was lying on the couch.

"Mom, it's okay, I'm fine." Nnamdi replied calmly. His father just watched him with a stern look.

"You are leaving this country immediately, enough is enough!" He exclaimed.

Immediately my ear stood o! "Ehn? Leaving this country for where? Not without me sha! With his child in my belly, we must leave together o!" I thought.

Then I cleared my throat several times.  "em..can I prepare something for you?" I asked spontaneously. Nnamdi's parents turned around to see me. His mother looked at me from head to toe.

    ". And you are?" She asked.

    "em.. that's Joey mom..." Nnamdi interrupted.

     "Nnamdi's Fiance ma!" I added.

Yes nau! I had to clarify oo. This life changing opportunity of saying 'good bye' to poverty must not pass me by, the package is not bad at all!

    Well the rest is history oo.. As you read this story(abi na tory you call am?), Nnamdi's parents are making all possible arrangements to have us settle in the Bahamas - yes! Bahamas!

I was asked to make the choice, after all I carry their pikin grand son for my belle - don't worry he will be well catered for when he is born, there is too much money o! I will take this risk, it's my risk..not yours!

People think I'm foolish, I know you think the same way.
******************************
FOOLISH... A story by E PLUS the Storyteller.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN LAND. Written by E PLUS The Storyteller.

The Wailing Creatures Written by Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola

That’s NOT my father! Sumayyah Oluwafunbi Ogunsola